I’m so sorry dear readers but this is yet another recipe I’ve taken from the lovely Smitten Kitchen! (Poor thing, she must be getting so many ping backs from me).
This may surprise you, as so far on E&T I’ve only made sweet things, but this latest recipe is a dinner! Or appetizer as I’ve so come to realise. I made it for my family for dinner – only for them to tell me it is not in fact a dinner but an appetizer. Oops. Maybe I should stick to baking.
HOWEVER, though it was an appetizer, it was bloody delicious if I may say so myself. A really fresh, healthy and clean starter to any dinner. Along with a nice glass of red, some bread and butter and you’ve got yourself a real treat.
To note: Though it was an appetizer, we were all quite satisfied after the meal! You could probably double the recipe and it would make a more substantial meal. Either way – play around. Some of the best results come from a little bit of creativity!
2 medium eggplants, cut 1inch
2tsps olive oil + 4 extra tsps
4tsps of red wine vinegar
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup onion, finely diced
150g feta (Smitten said ricotta salata but I don’t know if that’s available in Aus?!)
Finely chopped mint leaves
Bread stick for the table
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius. Place a sheet of baking paper onto a medium size tray and pour on tsps of olive oil.
2. Scatter cut up eggplant onto the tray and season with pepper and salt. Cook for 15-20 mins.
3. After one side of the eggplant is cooked, flip over and cook the other side for 10-12 mins.
4. While eggplant is cooking, thoroughly mix the tomato, onion, feta, mint, olive oil and red wine vinegar into a medium sized bowl. (I put the vinegar and oil into a separate container and shook it first for a nicer consistency)
5. Once the eggplant is cooked, scoop the mixture onto the eggplant and serve straight away.
6. Cut up some bread, open a bottle of red and you’re done!
12 thoughts on “Roasted Eggplant with Tomatoes and Mint”
Wonderful food photography!
Oh thank you :) I try! Just bought a DSLR for when I travel so I think it deserves the credit!
yummy!! my mouth is watering i can’t wait to try this love eggplant!!!
It is really simple and just so delicious! Definitely give it a go :) And thanks for the reblog!!
Reblogged this on Harmoniouschick and commented:
Simple sometimes the best for you!! I cant wait to try this out.
I “cooked” my first eggplant yesterday, it was quite nice, but maybe this recipe would be better :-), thanks for kind words
It was my first time too! Turned out well :)
Thanks for sharing this. I’ve been looking for a way to use Eggplant this looks like a tasty way to do it.
Eggplant can be used in so many ways! Three ways right now: use it in a vegetarian lasagne OR crumb it like schnitzel and fry OR just grill it on the BBQ and season as you like! :) Hope that helps!
Thanks! :) Great ideas.
This looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it! All of the baked goods on your site made my mouth water and the photography is awesome.
Thank you so much!! Means a lot :)