This deliciously healthy (ok, maybe not healthy, but certainly more healthy than being drowned in oil!) doughnut recipe comes from Taste. However, I found it on Phoodie’s website and she gives excellent and easy to follow step by step pictures. Thanks, Phoodie!
1 cup reduced-fat milk
50g unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Place milk in a heatproof, microwave-safe jug. Microwave on medium-high 60 seconds or until heated through (do not allow to boil). Stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
2. Sift flour into a bowl. Stir in yeast, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Make a well in the centre.
3. Add milk mixture. Mix to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. Using your fist, punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Press dough out until 2.5cm thick. Using a 6.5cm cutter, cut 12 rounds from dough.
7. Using a 2.5cm cutter, cut circles from the centre of each round.
8. Place doughnuts, 5cm apart, on prepared tray. Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
9. Preheat oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan-forced. Cook doughnuts for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
10. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Brush doughnuts with remaining butter. Dip in sugar mixture, shaking off excess. Place on plates. Serve.
And okay, as you can see I may have slightly burnt the doughnuts. I forgot how super-speedy my oven is! Never mind, they’re only a tad overcooked but still delicious!
I love cinnamon sugar – so my doughnuts were absolutely smothered in them! But you can put on as much as you please.
Now, time for a cuppa and a doughnut. Bliss!