Some of the best recipes in life are family recipes, those that have been passed down through generations. So for today’s Sunday Sweets I bring to you a recipe that was my late grandmother’s, which was passed down to my mother, who has passed it on to me. It’s one of my favourite desserts because it’s so rich and decadent and it’s the best recipe for a chocolate log I’ve ever come across (no bias here, I swear it!).
Presenting: The Best Chocolate Log. Enjoy!
– 2 packets of chocolate ripple biscuits (or any choc biscuit)
– 300 ml pure cream
– Jar of raspberry jam
– 100ml sherry/any sweet wine
-1 flake chocolate
1. Whip the cream until light and fluffy.
2. Pour the sherry into a bowl.
3. Create a thin layer of whipped cream on a serving plate
4. Quickly dip one chocolate biscuit into the sherry.
5. Spread jam on the smooth side of the biscuit, and place the biscuit upright on the cream on the serving plate.
6. Then dip the next biscuit in the sherry and spread cream on the smooth side of the biscuit. Keep dipping and alternating between jam and cream.
7. Keep placing the biscuits back to back in two parallel lines (see picture)
8. Slather the remaining whipped cream all over the biscuits and top with crumbled flake.
With so little ingredients, the sheer decadence and flavour you get out of this chocolate log is incredible.
A smooth, rich and velvety chocolate log that will have any chocolate, cream and wine lover (the best kind of people) in food mecca. The wine completely soaks through the biscuits creating a soft, sponge texture, allowing for the taste of whatever wine you use to really shine through. The sweetness of the sherry definitely complements the richness of the chocolate, the cream adding a lovely silky finish.
What’s your favourite family recipe?