“Sunday Sweets? Sounds vaguely familiar … but I haven’t heard/seen a Sunday Sweets post in so long I’ve kind of forgotten …” – E&T foodies everywhere.
Why yes, it is a Sunday Sweets post and yes I know it was oodles of poodles ago that I did a Sunday Sweets post but c’est la vie mon cherie, c’est la vie.
Since it’s been a while, you’d expect the first Sunday Sweets back to be a cracker of a dish. Which it is. It’s a serious cracker.
Don’t believe me? Check out the recipe below and hear (read) my verdict.
250g malt biscuits
4 x 50g Violet Crumble bars
600mL thickened cream
395g Nestle Sweetened Condensed Milk
1. Grease and line two 18 x 28cm lamington pans with baking paper.
2. Place biscuits side by side over base of prepared pans.
3. In an electric mixer, whisk cream until firm peaks form.
4. Pour in Sweetened Condensed Milk, and continue beating until firm.
5. Crush three violet crumble bars, and fold into cream mixture.
6. Pour cream mixture over malt biscuits in prepared pans.
7. Crush remaining violet crumble bar, sprinkle half over the top of each pan.
8. Place in freezer overnight or until set.
9. Cut into squares.
This is potentially one of my favourite recipes to date. Anybody would be fooled into thinking these slices are made of ice-cream as the cream and sweetened condensed milk solidifies into an ice-cream like texture. It’s wickedly sweet (don’t count the calories on this one) and completely creamy and decadent. The violet crumble gives it a beautiful crunch and of course, chocolatey goodness.
An easy recipe for dessert for any occasion!
Original recipe found here.